LINDA S. COHEN
11 Magnolia Road Briarcliff Manor, NY 10150
Industry leader in sales, creating new revenue streams for major companies by creating and launching business projects, special events and sponsorship programs. Skills include strong management, sales, marketing, public relations and budgeting expertise for trade shows, conferences, special events, magazines and web-based properties.
New Business/Sales Director
Contracted to expand the business sectors for an aging event for the corrugated box industry, leading all sales and sales marketing efforts. Significantly increased business and rolled out a high level, lucrative sponsorship campaign.
NewBay Media (formerly CMP Entertainment Media) 2005-2007
Events Director Government Video & Technology (GVExpo), Digital Video Expo, EMX, Guitar Player & Bass Player Events, HD House at Sundance
Lead the largest trade shows, special events and conferences for CMP Entertainment Media. Develop new business revenue streams, sponsorships, liaison with all top clients with sponsorship programs and sales, set and operate the budget and P&L, create the marketing direction, handle contractor negotiations, decide on site selection, spearhead sponsor and media trade relations, manage a full staff and contractors, direct conference content for all divisions. Launch sponsored conferences and events in new markets. Revived downward slide of attendance, resulting in re-booking over 65% of all exhibitors this year for the largest re-sign in the event’s history. Involved in full integrated sales training and marketing for print, events and online sales.
Trade Show Events April 2002-2005
My consulting firm, is a Traditional and Virtual Trade Show company. The company has partnerships throughout the US and Europe, and has created and successfully launched trade shows that included:
- Frost & Sullivan: Sponsorship Program Director. Created $1 million sponsorship programs across all their business properties including, conferences and events.
- ONLINE VIRTUAL TRADE SHOW & WEBINAR LAUNCH. ebizQ – a year-long online virtual trade show and webinar event for the eBusiness Enterprise and Integration industry. Leading industry sponsors and analysts hold seminar programs online. Involved in the concept, sales, inception, planning, P&L, conference planning, promotion and marketing and analyst webinar liaison. Retained as on-going consultant.
- IIR: National Managed Healthcare Congress. Tasked to increase new business segments, open dialog with potential sponsors and exhibitors, market newly created verticals and help future growth for this 16 year old event.
- HRO WORLD (Human Resources Outsourcing World). In its launch in August, 2003, responsible for all sales and sponsorships, worked with the newly formed Association to create industry standards platform, SOLD OUT event with top sponsors and exhibitors in the industry, featured keynoters such as Jeb Bush, Governor of Florida, and Kay Cole James, Secretary of U.S. Human Resources. Involved in all aspects of sales, marketing, budget, conference, public relations.
- CETEX: Consumer Electronics Trade Expo. Working with CMP to launch this Consumer Electronics Buyers Event on the East Coast as part of TECHXNY (the old PC EXPO).
- Toy Fair/IIR – researched the viability of launching a Kids Consumer Electronic and Video Game Event.
- MasterFit University – helped create, sold sponsorships and handled all logistics for MasterFit University, a series of 9 hands-on educational conferences and workshops for retailers in the Ski, Snowboard and Foot/Pedorthics Industry. Managed teaching staff of 10, responsible for budgeting, revenue reports and collections.
- National Sales Director iEB: Internet & e-Business Expo
Gartner/Advanstar November 1997-March 2002
Spearheaded rapid growth of this jointly owned Gartner and Advanstar Internet & e-Business event from $1 million to $15 million dollars in sales, with a personal account base of $11 million.
- Launched iEB West as a support event with a sold out trade show floor.
- Liaison between Advanstar and Gartner, working on sales, marketing and conference strategy.
- Hired, managed, trained and directed sales, administrative and promotional staff.
- Forecasted and set sales budgets, goals and the event business plan.
- Forged strategic alliances and partnerships with FORTUNE 100 industry giants such as Microsoft, SAP, Oracle, iPlanet, SUN, IBM, HP, Siebel.
- Directed marketing efforts, created sales promotional support materials.
- Created a new trade show business model to reflect the change in industry response to existing standard events.
- Created and sold sponsorship sales and programs.
- Top salesperson of Advanstar, with the highest business revenue.
- CEMA/CES October 1995-January 1997
Sales Consultant CES: CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW
Special sales consultant to help increase market share and identify new business, strengthen existing exhibitor and retailer relationships for CES, and increase trades. Worked with sales staff and senior management. Created concept and marketing/sales strategies for a new trade show concept.
Knowledge Industry Publications May 1992-July 1995
Director: Trade Show Sales E3: Electronic Entertainment Expo
- Sold out $11.8 million, 750,000 square foot, first year trade show for the video game, CD-ROM software and supporting hardware industries at the Los Angeles Convention Center, handling over 500 exhibitors.
- Only salesperson spearheading sales effort. Negotiated all contracts with industry leaders including Sega, Sony, Nintendo, Acclaim, Microsoft, Apple, Disney, Philips, IBM, Viacom. Handled all floor plan layouts and placements.
- Full knowledge of all facets of trade shows. Created E3 from concept and strategic planning through sales promotion, marketing and public relations. Involved in all decision-making including operations and full control of floor plans. Company spokesperson conducting major presentations for clients, investment bankers, and trade organizations.
- Worked with VIP retailers and key press to guarantee buyer and media support of E3 concept.
- Advertising Sales Manager Catalog Age/Cowles Media 1/84-5/92
Catalog Age Magazine
Top ad salesperson on leading direct mail publication to the catalog industry.
- Launched magazine, handling 45% of ad pages, all major accounts.
- Hired, trained and managed staff of four.
- Spearheaded launch of spin-off publication for gift and premium markets.
- Set marketing sales promotion strategies targeting new business categories.
- FOLIO Trade Show Sales FOLIO Magazine/Cowles Media
Additional Professional Experience
GS Schwarz Public Relations, PR Specialist 11/83-1/84
Better Homes & Gardens, Sales & Promotion 10/82 -11/83
SUNY Binghamton, BA English and History